Catalog for Graduation Evaluation
- A student may elect to be evaluated for graduation from any catalog in effect during the time he or she has been enrolled, provided that enrollment has been continuous.
- Students readmitted or reinstated will be evaluated for graduation from the catalog in effect at the time of readmission or reinstatement, or any catalog in effect during subsequent periods of continuous enrollment.
- Students changing majors will be evaluated for graduation from the catalog in effect at the time of the change, or any catalog in effect during subsequent periods of continuous enrollment.
Each student is responsible for determining the appropriate catalog to be used for academic advisement and for evaluation of graduation requirements. Catalog selection applies only to the course requirements of that catalog; all other academic procedures and graduation requirements must be satisfied according to regulations in effect at the time of graduation. For further information on the selection of an appropriate catalog, contact your major Department Chair.
A student is eligible for graduation when he or she:
- Has satisfactorily completed the required number of hours for the degree
- Has passed all required courses for the degree
- Has achieved the necessary scholastic average (2.00 for undergraduates; 3.00 for graduates)
- Has paid all required fees, fines, and other financial obligations
- Has filed an official "Petition of Admission to Candidacy for a Degree" through the Department Chair to the Registrar's Office
- Has passed an examination on U.S. and Georgia History, and the provisions of the Constitutions of the U.S. and the state of Georgia (Credit for U.S. History, American Government, or Political Science 1101 satisfies this requirement; undergraduate degree only)
- Has satisfied any program related requirements
- Has merited the recommendation for the degree by the faculty and the President of the university
- Has earned 25% of the major hours required for the degree in residence at SPSU
- Has earned in residence at SPSU the last
(Transient course work does NOT count as resident work)
20 credit hours required for an associate degree
30 credit hours required for a bachelor's degree
45 credit hours required for a bachelor of Architecture degree
A student must submit a formal petition for "Admission to Candidacy for a Degree" to the Registrar's Office in accordance with the published deadline. The fee must be paid with check or money order only.
All fall semester petitions for students not in school summer should be made in the spring semester of that year, and co-op students should petition the term before a work term if the work term immediately precedes the term of anticipated graduation.
Students are allowed and encouraged to petition early.