Apparel Textile Technology
Fashion Design and Product Development
Bachelor of Apparel and Textiles
Fashion is clothing that is in style at a particular time. The focus of the Fashion Design and Product Development program
is the "concept to distribution" design and development of fashions for the ready-to-wear clothing market. Men's wear, women's
wear, active and leisure apparel, children's wear and many other sewn products are all part of the fashion/apparel industry,
one of the largest and most important industries in the United States. Excellent starting salaries, rapid advancement, job
diversity, and travel are just some of the benefits to graduates of this program. The industry offers employment in all 50
states, and many opportunities around the world. Graduates work with technologies, computers and software to design and create
quality products in a fast-paced, ever changing fashion environment.
Thomas Ball Interim Department Chair
Keely Clay Assistant Professor
Program Educational Objectives
- To prepare graduates with the fundamental understanding of concept, product development, sourcing, marketing and merchandising
of the ready-to-wear apparel industry.
- To provide graduates with an understanding of the political and ethnical aspects pertaining to global product development.
- To prepare graduates with the basic knowledge for various entry level positions in the fashion/apparel industry.
- To provide a challenging curriculum consistent with industry needs.
Graduates of the program should be able to:
- Demonstrate a conceptual knowledge of the fashion/apparel industry;
- Communicate effectively in written and presentation skills;
- Demonstrate an ability to plan, execute and critique their concepts and ideas;
- Identify, critique and evaluate emerging technologies and concepts applicable to their chosen field;
- Demonstrate sound business principles and practices of the fashion/apparel industry.
- Demonstrate the ability to perform effectively in team environments.
- Recognize the need for life long learning.
Apparel Textile Technology - Fashion Design and Product Development Requirements