SPSU Home >> Social & International Studies >> Spanish >> How to Advise Students into Second Language (L2) Courses

How to Advise Students into Second Language (L2) Courses

1. Rule of Thumb for High Schools Students: Each year of High School L2 = 1 semester of SPSU L2

2. Students may self-place into a lower course. That is, if they want to begin again, they may.

3. Please observe the prerequisites for college L2 courses listed in the Undergraduate catalog. No one can succeed in a course above the 1001 level without that course or its equivalent.

4. No native speaker may take 1001, 1002, 2001, or 2002. Heritage speakers (who may speak the language at home, but who are educated in English) may take these courses.

5. We do not accept CLEP credit in L2s.

6. Acceptance of transfer credit in L2s for other universities is granted on a case-by-case basis. Students must have

A. an official transcript sent by the granting institution
B. a copy of the course description from that institution's catalog
C. a copy of the instructor's syllabus

Any questions should be directed the the Language Coordinator, Dr. Bernice-Nuhfer-Halten.