Stay Super Healthy during SuperBowl!
Super TAILGATE Foods!
Don’t Penalize your waist on FOOTBALL Sunday!
Super Bowl Sunday can be one of the worst eating days for men and women. But it's
easy to defend your New Year's diet resolution from the typical Super Bowl party's
fatty menu of beer, potato chips, sandwiches, wings, potato salad, macaroni and slaw
-- if you have the right game plan.
- Eat something before you arrive. If you show up hungry, you're more likely to overeat,
and to reach for the most fattening fare.
- Allow yourself a taste of anything on the table, and then bench the fattier choices
in favor of the healthier stand-bys.
- Bring along some lower-fat snacks to share, such as baked corn or potato chips, air-popped
popcorn and pretzels.
- Load up on salsa, which is a tasty, nutritious, low-calorie dip.
- Prepare a fruit or vegetable platter to bring to the party, so there's sure to be
some healthy choices at your fingertips.
- Try not to drink too many calories -- choose water or seltzer over regular sodas and
- If you're drinking alcohol, pick light beer, wine or a wine spritzer (1/2 wine, 1/2
Make it to next year’s party!
DON’T DRINK AND DRIVE!
Here are 10 snack ideas to slim down your Super Bowl party:
1) blue corn chips and bean dip
2) seasoned baked French fries
3) low-fat spinach dip and vegetable sticks
4) mini sandwich wraps with turkey, low-fat cheese, lettuce and tomato
5) vegetable curls with light ranch dressing dip
6) fruit kabobs
7) roasted almonds and low-fat popcorn
8) homemade pizza with vegetable toppings and Canadian bacon
9) baked pita chips served with fresh salsa
10) fruit and yogurt parfaits
Keep yourself active during the game
- Play a quick game of touch football or toss the football around at half-time.
- Walk around the party, don’t concentrate on only the food area
- Remember, you aren’t playing in the game, don’t make your post-game meal an NFL sized
Half-the-fat Half-Time Dip
- 8 ounces fat-free cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup minced sweet red pepper
- 1/4 very finely chopped fresh broccoli
- 1/2 small carrot, finely grated
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
1.) In a medium-sized mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth Beat in mayonnaise
until blended. 2.) Stir in onions, red pepper, broccoli, carrot and dill. 3.) Cover
tightly and refrigerate at least one hour before serving. 4.) Spread on crispy low-fat
crackers, toasted French bread rounds or melba toast. makes about 2 cups
Serving size 2 tablespoons Per serving 18 calories, 0 grams fat