SCORING UP TO 90 POINTS
DURATION APPROXIMATELY 18-20 HOURS
DEADLINE DECEMBER 6, 2013
Students use SimCity software to design a virtual city that has progressed 150 years into the future and has a population of at least 50,000 residents. In this Future City Competition component students learn how cities operate and what it takes to maintain them and for them to thrive.
The video below is available on the national website and hosted on YouTube. It introduces the SimCity4 Deluxe software used to design your virtual city, and the basic requirements and tips for a successful VIRTUAL CITY.
IMPORTANT THINGS TO REMEMBER ABOUT THE VIRTUAL CITY
When developing your VIRTUAL CITY remember these important things so you don't have problems and don't lose points.
- Always consult with your IT department prior to and during the install of your SimCity software. You want to make sure it will be available when and where your students need it. Firewall and network issues are the most frequent problems that come up.
- You may have some Students on your team who know the software already, but make sure you allow enough time for the Educator, Mentor and other Students to explore and become familiar with it so that you all can be engaged.
- All teams entering the FUTURE CITY COMPETITION are required to use the Medium City Starter Region provided by National.
- Make sure to explore the TOOLBAR and TERRANE TOOLBAR before starting your VIRTUAL CITY.
- The intention of this component is to learn about how cities are design, work and are maintained. This means your team should take the time to think, investigate, design, test and retest you decisions. Remember your searching for the best design solution, not just any solution.
- Remember the MAYOR MODE TOOLBAR this feature will provide you with the kind of information about your design to make more informed descisions. Always check the implact of your decisions on the health and viability of the City and its Sims. Designing, Building, and Maintaining a city is always an ethical act. Make sure you do what is best for all!
- Designing your VIRTUAL CITY 150 years in the future and for a minimum of 50,000 residents are benchmarks you must reach. If you don't you will lose points.
For the 2014 Future City Competition Schools will be given the option of using either:
SimCity4 Deluxe software, which works on a PC or PC based network (note SimCity4 is not available for MAC). There are limited MAC version CD's on the market. If you school uses a MAC based platform and you already have SimCity uploaded on your server please do not delete it.
The new SimCity 5 cloud based software. This software is available for both PC and MAC.
Always remember to consult your IT specialist before notifying us of your selection.
All SimCity software is provided free of charge and is distributed through regional coordinators. You must be a registered educator to receive the free software.
All registered schools and organizations will be given a SimCity download 'KEY' so they can download the software onto their servers. We will no longer be distributing CD's with the software. Download 'KEYS' will activate on August 1 and will cease to be valid December 30 of the same year.
For downloads and resources for SimCity4 Deluxe click on the link below:
SIMCITY RESOURCE PAGE
The VIRTUAL CITY RUBRIC explains the scoring of this important Component of the competition. You should review it prior to getting started and cross check with it when your virtual FUTURE CITY is fleshed out.
BE A PART OF THE FUTURE! BUILD YOUR FUTURE CITY TODAY!