SCORING UP TO 120 POINTS
DURATION APPROXIMATELY 20 TO 30 HOURS
DEADLINE REGIONAL COMPETITION JANUARY 24, 2015
In this component of the Future City Competition students build a physical model of a section of their virtual city. The model does not have to be an exact replica. Instead, think of the PHYSICAL MODEL as a 3-dimensional, creative representation of an area of your FUTURE CITY that best represents and demonstrates your teams vision of the future. Make sure that your most innovative ideas from your RESEARCH ESSAY and your thoughts from the CITY NARRATIVE ESSAY are demonstrated in your PHYSICAL MODEL as you will use this as your main prop in the TEAM PRESENTATION at Regionals, and hopefully, at Nationals.
The national website has a step-by-step guide for moving through the MODEL component of the Future City Competition. You can visit that site or follow along with the links below.
The video below is available on the national website and hosted on YouTube. It addresses the importance of scale in making a model, the basic requirements and tips for a successful MODEL.
IMPORTANT THINGS TO REMEMBER WHEN MAKING THE MODEL
When making your model remember these important aspects to include so you don't lose points.
- All teams must make their model from scratch
- The model must be no larger than 25” (W) x 50” (L) x 20” (H)
- The model must contain at least one moving part
- You will not have access to an electrical outlet so all moving parts powered by electricity must be run on a battery
- The total cost to you for all model supplies cannot exceed $100
- Your model must contain recycled materials. Start collecting small boxes, saucers, plastic bottles, anything that sparks your imagination that you can use creatively in your model.
The PHYSICAL MODEL RUBRIC explains the scoring of this important component of the competition. You should review it prior to getting started and planning your physical model.
You will need to submit a COMPETITION EXPENSE Form as part of the paper work for the Competition. This form can be found under Competition Forms in the column to the left or you can download it by clicking on the link below:
BE A PART OF THE FUTURE! BUILD YOUR FUTURE CITY TODAY!