Ken and Elaine Rainey Endowed Scholarship
The Ken and Elaine Rainey Endowed Scholarship recognizes the achievement of a deserving junior pursuing an undergraduate degree in the English, Technical Communication & Media Arts Department at Southern Polytechnic State University. The scholarship recipient should exemplify the spirit of learning and service that Dr. Ken Rainey himself represented.
Who is Dr. Ken Rainey?
Dr. Kenneth T. Rainey was a professor in the English, Technical Communication & Media Arts department at Southern Polytechnic State University from 1989 until his death in 2006. He was the department chair for three years and taught a wide range of graduate and undergraduate courses, including document design, graphics, multimedia, technical writing and editing, and research methods.
Dr. Rainey inspired both students and faculty alike to pursue a lifelong commitment to learning and service. He was recognized internationally for his excellence in teaching, research, and service. He received many awards:
- Fellow of the Society for Technical Communication (STC)
- STC's Jay Gould Award for excellence in teaching technical communication
- Southern Polytechnic's Outstanding Faculty Award in 1992
- Southern Polytechnic's Teacher of the Year Award in 2001
In addition, he is listed in "Who's Who in American Education" and "Who's Who Among America's Teachers."
Who determines the recipient of the scholarship?
The Scholarship Selection Committee will determine the recipient. This committee consists of a minimum of three but no more than five members. At least one member is a professional communicator from industry. Members serve a two-year period.
The committee oversees the application process, review applications, and selects an award recipient, if the committee determines there is a deserving applicant.
Do I qualify for the scholarship?
To qualify for the Ken and Elaine Rainey Endowed Scholarship, you must be pursuing an undergraduate major in ETMCA and:
- be a full-time junior in the current academic year who will graduate in
- December of the current academic year, or
- May of the next academic year;
- have a minimum of 18 hours in your major with a minimum of 6 hours in courses beyond Area F (these 18 hours must have been completed at SPSU);
- have completed no more than 90 hours toward graduation by the end of Fall;
- have a minimum of a 3.2 overall GPA; and
- have a minimum of a 3.5 GPA in your major.
How much will the recipient receive?
The annual scholarship awards a minimum of $500 to the recipient.
How do I apply?
- Submit a 500-word essay no later than March 1 to email@example.com. Please indicate "Rainey Scholarship Application" in the subject line. The essay should address your qualifications for the scholarship.
- The Scholarship Selection Committee reviews the application material and will decide on a recipient, if there is one.
- The scholarship recipient will be notified by the middle of April. The name of the scholarship recipient will be submitted to the Director of Advancement so that scholarship funds can be set aside.
- The Rainey family will be notified of the scholarship recipient.
- The scholarship recipient will be recognized at the fall scholarship banquet sponsored by the Office of Advancement.
*** Broken a:17187 spsu: etcma_footer ***