Construction Management Department
Criteria, Application Procedure, and Schedule
The Construction Management Department is pleased to announce the availability of Fourteen (14 plus AGC and GUCA)scholarship awards for AY 2013. Students with only Construction Management Department Majors (Certificate, B.S., and M.S.) are eligible. Each scholarship award, and the amount, will be based on actual funds available. Interested students are invited and encouraged to complete the application process. All applicants must be currently enrolled as full-time students (12 credits minimum for BS CM and 8 credits for MS CM) and must be in good academic standing. The scholarships available for award include:
1) Toy-Mench One Scholarships of $ 500 ; 2) PCEA and ASPE Golden Hammer Three Scholarship of $ 1000; 3) Flagler Foundation Scholarships of $ 1000 One and One Scholarship of $ 500; 4) Construction Management Industry Advisory Board (CMIAB) Four Scholarships of $ 2000 each; 5) Grainger Scholarships One scholarships of $2000; 6) Juneau Scholarship One scholarship of $ 1000; 7) AECA Scholarships One scholarships of $2000; 8) GUCA Scholarships One to three scholarships of $1000 each 9) Two AGC Scholarships are available for SPSU CM students, one each for BS CM program student and another scholarship for MS CM Program student are available for award
Overview of Scholarships
1.The Toy-Mench Scholarship: One $ 500 scholarship will be awarded to a full-time student in BS or MS degree Program with Construction Management major who has completed at least one course in the Specialty Construction concentration and is enrolled in another. The student must have a minimum overall SPSU GPA requirement for this scholarship is 2.8.
2. The Golden Hammer Award, which has Three scholarships of $ 1000, each funded jointly by the Professional Construction Estimators Association (PCEA) and the American Society of Professional Estimators (ASPE) Atlanta Chapters, are based on service to the profession, extracurricular activities, and merit (GPA).
3. The Flagler Foundation Scholarship, which includes one scholarship of $1000 and another scholarship for $ 500 will be awarded to two students who demonstrates a need for support and has a GPA of 3.0 or more.
4. The Construction Management Industry Advisory Board (CMIAB) is offering opportunity for Five $ 2,000 scholarships based on merit (GPA), major, performance in curricular and extracurricular activities. one of these five Scholarships is dedicated to the memory of Late Joe Dusek, Vice President Hardin Construction, who was a member of SPSU's Construction Industry Advisory Board.
5. The Grainger Scholarship will be awarding One $ 2,000 scholarship to a student in BS or MS or Certificate Programs offered by the CM Department. The scholarship is based on merit and the number of credit hours (CM courses) completed at SPSU.
6. The Juneau Scholarship will be awarding One $ 1000 scholarship to a student in BS CM or MS CM Program. The scholarship is based on need and minimum GPA.
7. The AECA Scholarship will be awarding One $ 2000 scholarship to a student in BS CM program who plans to work in an Electrical Contracting Firm of Atlanta.
8. The Georgia Utility Contractors Association (GUCA) may award up to three scholarships of $ 1000 each. The number of GUCA Scholarships will be determined by Georgia Utility Contractors Association.
9. The AGC Education and Research Foundation has two scholarships available: one for Graduate Students s and one for Undergraduate CM students. http://www.agcga.org/galleries/new-gallery/2010%20Education%20Scholarship%20Application.pdf
1. Toy-Mench Scholarship (One $500 scholarship)One $ 500 scholarship will be awarded to a full-time student in BS or MS degree Program
with Construction Management major who has completed at least one course in the Specialty
Construction Program and is enrolled in another. The student must have a minimum overall SPSU GPA requirement for this scholarship is 2.8.
The main criteria for this scholarship award require demonstration of participation in service to profession, student construction organizations, and construction related extra-curricular activities such as student competitions. Academic achievement will be an added advantage.3. Flagler Foundation (one $1000 scholarship and another $500 Scholarship)
The needs of the applicant will be the primary criteria for this selection. Therefore, each applicant must demonstrate how the scholarship will support his/her education at the CM Program. In addition, academic achievement (over all CM GPA) will be used to break a tie.
4. CMIAB Scholarship (Five $2000 scholarships)
The CMIAB Scholarship is offered by the Construction Management Department through the support of CM Industry Advisory Board. The applicant should be either an Undergraduate or a Graduate student who is currently enrolled in one of the Construction Management Programs. These applicants should show academic achievement (high GPA) as well as outstanding performance in curricular and extracurricular activities related to the discipline of Construction Management.5. Grainger Scholarship (One $2000 scholarship)
The Grainger Scholarship will be awarded to a CM Student who earns the highest GPA and has completed highest number of credit hours at SPSU. For further details please see the application form of Grainger scholarship available at CMD Office. This scholarship is reserved for students of BS CM program students enrolled in Facilities Management concentration.
Requirements for the Award of AECA Scholarship
A. Student must submit a 100 word minimum statement explaining their career desire
to work in electrical Construction Management Contracting Company in Atlanta.
B. Student must have a 2.8 overall GPA or higher and be majoring or minoring in construction management
C. Student must have completed two construction management specialty or facility management concentration
courses from CM 3180, CM 3190, CM 3280, CM 3480, CM 4480, CM 3290, CM 4190
D. CM Faculty Committee shall examine the applications from students and will recommend one student for this scholarship of $ 2000.
The GUCA scholarship criteria have already been announced (also included in the application form) and applications can be picked from the Construction Management Department. Deadline to submit GUCA application for scholarship by student applicants to GUCA office directly is October 1, 2011. GUCA address at is as follows: 804 Main Street, Suite C, Forest Park Georgia 30297-1476
Please see details at the web site AGC Georgia Scholarships http://www.agcga.org/galleries/new-gallery/2010%20Education%20Scholarship%20Application.pdf
For National AGC Scholarships please visit http://scholarship.agc.org/
Besides the GUCA and AGC scholarships, each scholarship application should clearly state one of the categories mentioned above. Each applicant may apply for only one scholarship category. Multiple applications by one student for different scholarships will not be considered. Graduate, undergraduate, and certificate students are eligible to apply.
Construction Management students should submit their applications to Ms. Sharon Hamrick no later than Thursday, September 6, 2012 before 5:00 PM. The three-member Scholarship Committee from the department and one Advisory Board member will evaluate the applications received before the deadline and make recommendations to the Department Chair for announcement of the result. The Chair will announce the names of Scholarship recipients before September 20, 2012
Scholarship awards will be made available to the student’s accounts through the business office for use towards Spring 2013 tuition and fees. For GUCA and AGC scholarships please send your applications directly to the addresses given on the application forms before the deadline or they will not be considered.
Successful candidates for scholarship will be expected to participate in the Award Ceremony and are expected to write Thank You letters to their Scholarship Provider.