CLEP examinations cover material taught in courses encountered during the first two years of college. Most CLEP exams are designed to correspond to one-semester courses, although some correspond to full-year or two-year courses. Unless stated otherwise in the CLEP online description, an examination is intended to cover material in a one-semester course.
Colleges usually grant the same amount of credit for a satisfactory score on the CLEP
examination as they grant to students successfully completing that course.
Southern Polytechnic State University’s Continuing Education Center is an open CLEP Testing Center. All CLEP examinations are administered, by appointment only, Monday thru Friday. Please contact the Testing Center at 678-915-3982 at least one week in advance of a proposed testing date.
CLEP exams are given year round. All CLEP examinations are computer-delivered and have a 90-minute time limit.
For more information regarding the CLEP program and official study guides, visit the official website by clicking here.
CLEP Registration and Fees
Create an account at College Board / My Account. Through the MyAccount registration portal you can:
- Register for a CLEP exam 24/7
- Manage your personal accounts at any time prior to taking the exam
- Search for test centers and select your score recipient institution
- Purchase study materials
CLEP examinations are administered throughout the year at over 1,800 test centers in the United States and abroad.
Schedule your appointment to take the test by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
SPSU Testing Center Registration and Fees for CLEP
Register by emailing SPSU Testing Center at email@example.com call 678.915.3982.
The Administration Fee of $30.00 is non-refundable and non-transferable. Please note that if you find it necessary to change your test date, you must re-register and re-pay the Administration Fee. This portion must be paid when registering and is payable with a credit/debit card or personal or company check. Checks for the Administration Fee must be made payable to SPSU. No cash will be accepted. Please be certain of your selected date and time prior to registering to avoid paying additional fees.
Veterans and Military:
If you are a member of the military or a veteran please visit the CLEP website click here to visit.
The CLEP Test Fee of $80.00 will be paid in the Testing Center Office on the day you take the test.
This portion is payable with check, money order, or credit/debit card. Checks for
the CLEP test fee must be made payable to CLEP.
NOTE: Students who need to take the optional essay portion of an exam must register in the same way as for other tests. The Administration Fee for the optional essay portion is $30.00 and is payable at the time of registration. For example, if you’re taking the American Literature test with the optional essay portion, you will sign up for BOTH the objective portion and the essay portion at different testing sessions (which can be taken on the same day, space permitting). The fees are: American Literature – $30.00 Administration Fee; optional essay – $30.00 Administration Fee; and, the CLEP test fee – $80.00, paid on the day of the exam, for a total of $140.00. The only exception to this requirement is College Composition. There is no extra fee for this exam.
If you are registering for more than one test, you will be required to pay the full fee for each exam.
Any questions you have should be directed to Melissa Akins at 678-915-3982.
Important Information for Exam Day
Bring the following items with you to the testing center:
- A valid registration ticket from My Account registration portal. Click here to see a ticket sample.
- Registration forms or printouts that are required by the test center. Make sure you have filled out all necessary paperwork in advance of your testing date.
- Your driver’s license, passport or other government-issued identification that includes your photograph and signature, as well as a secondary form of ID that includes a photo and/or your signature, such as a student ID. You will be asked to show this identification to be admitted to the testing area. The last name on your primary ID must match the name on your registration ticket.
- Military test-takers, bring your military ID and Social Security card.
- Home-schoolers, if you do not have the required government-issued ID, please complete a Student ID Form, which is valid for one year. The form must be accompanied by a recognizable photo, with a school or notary seal overlapping the photo. The form must be signed in front of a school official or notary. If you fail to present appropriate ID, you will not be tested.
- Administration fees: Bring administration fee to the test center. Each test center charges an additional fee and sets its own policy for payment.
DO NOT bring any of the following items with you to the testing center.
- Cellular phones/pagers, smart phones
- Listening/recording devices
- Photographic devices
- Calculators, dictionaries/books/pamphlets, digital/alarm/wristwatch cameras
- Papers of any kind, mechanical pencils/pens/highlighter
- Flash/thumbdrives, tobacco products, slide rules, compasses or rulers
- Weapons or firearms
- Food or beverages
- Check with your adviser and university policy for eligibility and minimum score requirements.
- It takes approximately 2-3 weeks for your school to receive your score.
- You must wait 6 months before re-taking any exam.
Each exam is approximately 90 minutes long, and, except for College Composition, is
made up primarily of multiple-choice questions. Some exams do include other types
of questions or optional essays.
You can access specific information on knowledge and skills required and study resources at the CLEP website at the College Board website.
Composition and Literature
Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
College Composition Modular with Essay
SPSU STUDENTS ONLY these are the tests that need to be taken if you plan to CLEP any of the ENGL or Area C2 courses:
NOTE: Any student that is a SPSU student must have their adviser fill out the CLEP Authorization Form and sign before registration can be done.
ENGL 1101 Need to take College Composition Modular, with Essay
ENGL 1102 Need to take Analyzing and Interpreting Literature, with Writing Sample
ENGL 2120 Need to take English Literature
ENGL 2130 Need to take American Literature
Area C2 Need to take Humanities
French Language (Levels 1 and 2)
German Language (Levels 1 and 2)
Spanish Language (Levels 1 and 2)
History and Social Sciences
Human Growth and Development
Introduction to Educational Psychology
Principles of Macroeconomics
Principles of Microeconomics
Social Sciences and History
History of the United States I: Early Colonization to 1877
History of the United States II: 1865 to the Present
Western Civilization I: Ancient Near East to 1648
Western Civilization II: 1648 to the Present
Science and Mathematics
Introductory Business Law
Information Systems and Computer Applications
Principles of Management
Principles of Marketing
Monday and Friday — 10:30am
Tuesday through Thursday — 10:30am and 2:30pm
Testing Center Mailing and Physical Address
SPSU Testing Center
1100 S. Marietta Parkway J-160
Marietta, GA 30060
Testing Center 678-915-3982