Social Security Info
- Must be an F-1 or J-1 international student maintaining status
- Must be registered full-time OR have an approved OPT
- Undergraduates - 12 hours
- Graduate students - 9 hours
- Must have secured a job
Steps to follow
- Obtain a job offer letter from your supervisor stating hours and position.
- Request a Social Security referral letter from the International Advisor in the ATTIC.
- If you do not live in Cobb county, please visit your local Social Security Office.
Items you need to take to the Social Security Office
- Job offer letter from supervisor
- SSN referral letter from the ATTIC
- I-94 info ( https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov )
- I-20 or DS-2019
Where to Go
Cobb county residents should go to:
Social Security Administration
1415 Franklin Road SE
Marietta, Ga 30067
Monday - Friday 8AM - 3PM
You should receive your card within 8 - 30 business days after filing; it will be
mailed to your home address.
If you have not received your card within the time frame above, contact the Social
Security Office where you filed your application.
YOU MAY NOT BEGIN WORK UNTIL YOU RECEIVE YOUR SOCIAL SECURITY CARD.
After you receive your SS card
- You must bring your card to the International Student Services office, so that a copy
of your card can be put into your file.
- If working on campus, you must submit a copy to the Human Resources Department in
Norton Hall (R2). You must also complete paperwork for the HR department.
- If you work on campus, submit your card to the HR department at your job site.
WARNING: If you are assigned a Social Security Number, you may only use it for work
authorized by INS (EAD card) or the Designated School official (DSO) for on-campus
employment, Optional Practical Training, or Curricular Practical Training.