Driver's License Information for Non-US Citizens
A student must be in the U.S. for at least 10 days and be ACTIVE in the SPSU system BEFORE you can apply for a driver's license.
To obtain a Georgia driver's license, identification card, or any other service provided by Georgia Department of Driver Services, a non US citizen must comply with the following eligibility requirements:
Previous Licenses or Instructional Permits: You should present your Out of Country/International License or Identification card to receive a Georgia license or Identification card. Out of country licenses/permits/ID cards are returned to non US citizens with the following exceptions: Commercial licenses and permits.
Social Security Number Requirements:
Federal law requires that states collect social security numbers (SSN) from driver’s license applicants under the Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act of 1996.
An applicant must provide either a Social Security number or a letter of ineligibility for a Social Security number (Form SSAL 676).
If you do NOT have a Social Security Card:
1) Obtain a letter of denial/ineligibility (Form SSAL676) from the Social Security Administration Office located at:
1415 Franklin Road SE
Marietta, GA 30067
Legal Presence Requirements:
2) Present one of the following immigration documents in person at a Customer Service Center to prove legal presence in the US (only originals or certified copies accepted):
- Denial Letter from Social Security or Social Security Card
- Valid Visa
- Valid(not expired) passport with I-94 card or stamp
- I-20 (F-1/F-2) or DS 2019 (J-1/J-2)
- Support letter from International Office to show proof of residency(optional)
- Employment Authorization (EAD/I-766) - if applicable
- Refugees and Asylees: I-94 only (no passport required) or Refugee Travel Document (I-571)
- Proof of Residency: Must provide one of the following
- School record or transcript for current/preceding calendar year
- Utility Bill
- Bank Statement
Note: Original immigration documentation must be submitted each time service is requested pertaining to a driver's license or identification card.
Note: Students may be denied a driver's license!
If you are denied, check with the SPSU International Office to make sure you are ACTIVE in the system. In some cases DDS SAVE verification of immigration status may take several days or several weeks. Until verification by USCIS, DDS is unable to issue a driver's license or identification card. If the verification was unsuccessful, the customer will be given a form with instructions and time frames to contact USCIS or return to the Customer Service Center at a later date.
The nearest office to the school is the:
Marietta Customer Service Center #56
1605 County Services Pkwy,
Marietta GA 30008
Tuesday-Friday 7:30 a.m.- 6:30 p.m.
Saturday 7:30 a.m.-12 noon
This information was taken from the Georgia Department of Driver Services. For more information please visit: www.dds.ga.gov