School of Arts and Sciences

Department Chair Meeting

Friday, April 13, 2007

2pm – 3pm

BCP Conference Room

 

Those in Attendance: Alan Gabrielli, Andrew McMorran, Julie Newell, Phil Patterson and Laina Pond

 

  1. Updates from Departments
  2. Equipment money and other end of year spending
  3. General Education Outcome Assessment
  4. New Issues

 

  1. Updates from Departments:
    1. English (by Alan, for Mark Nunes) – All three faculty searches are complete. The ETCMA retreat is underway and Alan suggests that all other departments do something similar in order to begin work on SACS.
    2. Math – Math lecturer search is in progress. An MAT exam information letter will be sent out to students, providing information including the URL to the online sample questions. The full MET practice exam will not be offered, as the Math department has concerns with providing a full practice exam for the placement test.  Alan, Andy and Julie discussed differences in student backgrounds in Mathematics. Laura Ritter spoke on Mathematical Modeling of Atherogenesis, which received a fairly good turn out.
    3. BCP – The Biology search is complete and the Chemistry and Physics searches are in progress. Phil spoke on his experiences with candidate interviews so far. The department is working on breaking down the SACS assignments. The NARST presentation is coming up.
    4. SIS – Two geography candidates are coming in for interviews soon, the other searches are in progress. Julie expresses that the university should look at other assessment measures aside from FCAR's. Julie asks if any departments are interested in collaborating on the Spring International Forum on Environmental Sustainability. Andrew, Julie and Phil talk about possible collaborations and guest speakers. Alan updated everyone on the CSE and ETM Dean searches progress. The committees should meet the week of the 23rd, and will make their recommendation to Zvi.  Alan and Julie discussed out-of-equity changes and their effects on faculty and department chair pay. Any faculty over $1,000 out-of-equity will receive a $850 increase. Alan isn't sure how the equity adjustments will affect Department Chairs.
  2. Zvi has given each Dean $20,000 for end-of-year projects. SIS will receive the money for Language Lab updates, as BCP will be able to generate some additional funds from lab fees. Alan noted that he will be checking with IT to see if they'll be replacing old computers. Alan asks that everyone communicate with Procurement about any purchases and payments that are expected to be incurred during June. P-cards will be cut-off May 11, and leftover funds will be grouped and designated according to University priorities.
  3. Alan asks that everyone review the USG General Education Learning Outcomes. Alan will send an electronic copy of the SACS Quality Enhancement Project, and asks for suggestions on persons that may make a good addition to the project.
  4. Andrew asks if anyone perceived any additional needs for block scheduling.
 ©